2015 has begun! Below is an important ask of Joe Mayhew, WPCLB VP, CWA 1103:
President Obama in his State of the Union address clearly told us he is going to pursue the Trans-Pacific Partnership the worst trade deal for Labor since NAFTA. We can stop it, please call Nita Lowey and Eliot Engel on the numbers below (they will direct you automatically to their offices) and give them this message:
Thank you for fighting against FAST TRACK and the TPP, and please stay strong and do not change your vote against this bad trade deal that hurts American Jobs.
Calls to Eliot Engel 1-855-980-2306
Calls to Nita Lowey 1-855-980-2338
Need more info? Here is a quick summary of what is going on:
The President’s plan
Ram the TPP through using a process called FAST TRACK that limits debate, does not allow amendments and forces the bill through committees and finally to an up or down floor vote. We will lose if this happens.
How We Stop TPP
Stopping the FAST TRACK process kills TPP. History is on our side because FAST TRACK has been stopped before (during the Clinton administration) we can do it again.
- FAST TRACK will pass the US Senate we do not have the votes to stop or even filibuster the bill; we lose here.
- We can stop FAST TRACK in the House of Representatives. There are 435 votes in the house,. 218 votes are needed to pass FAST TRACK.
- 150 Dems have signed on to letters against FAST TRACK, 26 Ultra Right wing Republicans have also signed on to letters against FAST TRACK. That gives us 176 votes.
- Our people in Washington believe we will get 32 more Dems to vote against (6 Dems are supporting. That gives us 208 votes.
- We need to ensure we do not lose any of our confirm and leaning Dem votes and gain 10 more Republican votes and we stop FAST TRACK.
- In Westchester our job is to ensure Eliot Engel and Nita Lowey do not change their vote under Obama pressure.
THANKS IN ADVANCE. PLEASE MAKE THE CALL!