Local 860 BlitzLocal 860 Blitz 9200
Why Vote No
This November, New York voters will again vote whether or not to hold a state Constitutional Convention. Well-funded special interests and their lobbyists have already joined forces and are ready to spend millions in support of this referendum. This ballot question, however, could trigger devastating changes to the state constitution that would harm regular New Yorkers. Whether it’s the right to a quality public education, protections for our natural resources or defending our personal liberties and freedoms, a Constitutional Convention would give the big-money special interests, political insiders and lobbyists the ability to rewrite the State Constitution for their own benefit. Groups of hard-working New Yorkers from across the political spectrum are working to oppose this hundreds of millions of dollars boondoggle—a Constitutional Convention that would cater not to the people’s wishes, but to the worst of corrupt, Albany special-interest politics.
THE REASONS TO VOTE “NO” ON A CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION.
Is estimated to cost taxpayers a staggering $300 million. These are critical funds that should be used for education, fire and police protection, and tax cuts.
Will be run by the same politicians, lobbyists and special interest groups who have gamed the system for their own benefits, and led to rampant corruption in Albany.
Delegates to the convention are paid almost $80,000. They also get to hire their own staff, including their friends and relatives.
There is no timeframe for the completion of the convention process, and therefore the cost could become astronomical.
It would be very easy for extremist groups to hijack the convention, and force their radical agenda on all of us.
Several scholarship programs are available for AFSCME members and their children. Click on an individual scholarship from the list below to download an application and for information on requirements and deadlines.
- Gerald W. McEntee ScholarshipIn honor of former AFSCME Pres. Jerry McEntee this one-time $5,000 scholarship is awarded annually to an AFSCME member for use towards higher education.
- AFSCME Affiliate Scholarship ProgramsMany AFSCME affiliates have special scholarship programs designed to help their members pursue educational opportunities to advance on the job.
- AFSCME Family Scholarship$2,000 renewable scholarship awarded to high school seniors each year.
- Jerry Wurf Memorial FundProvides three scholarships for the six-week Harvard Trade Union Program for full-time AFSCME staff planning a career in the trade union movement or an AFSCME member holding an elected position who is willing to take leave.
- The OAPSE/AFSCME Memorial ScholarshipThis $2,500 scholarship is available to any graduating high school senior whose parent or legal guardian is a member in good standing of the Ohio Association of Public School Employees (OAPSE/AFSCME Local 4/AFL-CIO).
- Union Plus ScholarshipActive and retired AFSCME members, spouses and dependent children are eligible to apply.
- William Lucy Labor Scholarship FundProvides a scholarship for a rank and file AFSCME leader to attend the Harvard Trade Union Program, a six-week executive program of education and training in the political, economic, and organizational challenges confronting labor unions.
CSEA has partnered with Tankfarm to provide exclusive discounts on propane for CSEA members.
Tankfarm, the largest propane buying group in the USA, offers the following features:
- Average savings of 50 cents to $1.00 per gallon on propane
- No tank rental fees or delivery fees
- No lock-ins or long-term contracts
- Free system safety inspection and tank pressure test
- Deliveries and service from a top local propane supplier
- $50 free propane certificate
- $100 equipment upgrade certificate
As a CSEA member, you can get a free quote now and see how much you can save by visiting tankfarmgroup.com/csea.
This is just one of many great benefits your CSEA membership provides to you. To find many other cost saving programs, visit cseany.org, and find the menu item “For Members.”
CSEA values your membership!