The Westchester Chapter was co-founded by J. Allyn Stearns and Ivan Flood. In 1947, it was chartered by CSEA Inc. (the Civil Service Employees Association, Inc.) and became Westchester Local 860 (also known as Westchester Chapter CSEA) and functioned as an Employee Association.
The passage of the New York Taylor Law in 1967 allowed for Collective Bargaining and the formation of CSEA Units within the Public Sector to negotiate contracts for salary and benefits.
Many CSEA Units from the County, Medical Center, Cities, Towns, Villages, and School Districts began to join Westchester Local 860 and the Local grew in numbers and strength.
Today Local 860 is comprised of 99 Units with a constituency of over 14,000 Union Members and Agency Shop fee payers. At present, it is the largest Local in the CSEA organization.
– In the early years, Westchester Local 860 held its meetings at 85 Court Street, in downtown White Plains.
– In 1973, it opened its first office at 196 Maple Avenue, White Plains, remaining there until 1985 when it moved into offices at 845 No. Broadway, North White Plains.
– In September 1993 Local 860 moved to its present location at 595 W. Hartsdale Avenue, Town of Greenburgh, NY.
– On November 23, 2005, after much negotiation and perseverance, and with the help of CSEA, Inc., Westchester Local 860 purchased the building, an unprecedented step for a Local in the CSEA organization.
The Local 860 office building is YOUR union building and is available for any CSEA union meeting or function by any unit in Local 860 that needs a gathering place.